The doctor at the Sports Medicine Office was wonderful. He was very personable and took the time to explain the importance of getting this fixed. He gave her the option to
1) stay off of her foot completely and not have to wear the boot (ya know, like she has done the past week, haha, running in P.E., running the lap before the track meet and running hurdles yesterday at track practice)
or
2) wear the boot
She looked at me, she knew what I was going to say. But she looked at me with the look of "I have 2 track meets next week!! What about hurdles?!" And I love her, that's why I gave the answer that she didn't want to hear.
"Give her the boot." She was suppose to stay off of it all week and you see how that played out. I believe he was going to have her wear one anyway.



She handled it well, which was surprising. She's okay (yes, just okay) with it, for now.
Come to find out, she pulled a ligament in her ankle. She also either pulled a tendon in her foot or she fractured a bone in her foot. She had x-rays last week but they were focused on her ankle at the time. She is to stay out of activities for 10 days (and wear the boot) and then he will do another x-ray. He also explained to her the importance of her obeying his orders and not jumping or running or anything of the sort. If this doesn't heal correctly, it could affect her future in sports but also the way she walks. He also checked her growth plate, it wasn't injured, thank goodness.
Is she done with track? No. She can still throw. That is one thing he is allowing her to do. He even put it on his slip for the track coaches. He also put that she can take her boot off to throw, but has to put it right back on. The coaches tonight though, wouldn't let her do anything.
She is allowed to take the boot off when she is sitting down and when she sleeps (and showers of course). Going up the stairs takes a bit longer for her. The good thing is, she has a sense of humor about it all. We Her friends have sweet nicknames (Gimp, Big Foot, One Foot, Hop A Long) for her too, it's funny cute. We all know that if she didn't like the names we they wouldn't say them. We don't want hurt feelings, so we'll allow the jokes for now because she is handling the situation well. Once she's sick of the boot or sick of not being able to do track, I don't expect her to handle our their jokes as well. They'll get old eventually too.
With it being a beautiful day we went for a walk, I offered her a wagon ride, wish I would have had my camera for that look (although she did consider it a few minutes later)! I was being sympathetic and considerate. However, on our walk we would go by the park where her friends could be so that offer was turned down. We enjoyed our walk over to see our good friends Keli and Jay and had the chance to meet our neighbors right out our back door, literally. It was nice to meet some friendly neighbors.
It will definitely be an interesting 10 days. At least it's not a cast! I am SO thankful she can remove the boot.
4 comments:
OUCH...that sounds painful. Hope she listens this time and it heals properly. I hope the school listens too.
Do share the nicknames. LOL
poor thing. it is hard to be side lined. I hope she will heal quickly!
i just cant imagine where she got that "miss independant" stuff from. love you bampy
Poor baby! Glad it's only for a short while.
I'll be over this weekend for the wagon ride.
Post a Comment