Saturday, December 06, 2008

Oh My What A Hockey Game

Green Bay Gamblers vs. Indiana Ice (and a lot of comparisons).

We attended our first Indiana Ice Hockey game tonight. First I would like to ask. . . what's the reward for finding lost Sesame Street characters? I'm sure Elmo is really missing him and would love to have him home.I feared for my family's lives at times. I guess we were spoiled by the well behaved but fun fans in Green Bay. And the nice arena. (In the Resch Center in Green Bay they had a screen above the middle of the ice to where they would show fights which made it nice if they were taking place on the other end of the ice where you couldn't see. But it's much more useful than that.) The Gambler's Girls (not their official name) wore more clothes too. "L" mentioned that they were probably cold because they were missing half of their shirts.


The Gambler Girls were interactive with the activities in between periods. The Ice Girls just danced the entire game (at least every time I was bored or felt the need to check my surrounding for safety), and enjoyed watching themselves dance too I might add. Their heads were watching their own bodies.
Hubby: "At least you can't smell the sweat off the players."

Me: "How would you know?"

In Green Bay we smelled nasty, make ya wanna vomit sweat from the players. At this game we smelled nasty, make ya wanna vomit over kill of beer from the fans. If you ever wonder if Indiana people know how to cheer and get loud, go to a hockey game. However, don't expect actual words. I believe the only word they knew was "hockey" (that they yelled about every two minutes). We found it funny that they actually needed to remind themselves what kind of sporting event they were at. Do you hear people yell "football" at games? No. I also busted out laughing when they played part of 'Another Brick In The Wall' by Pink Floyd. The only words they played were "we don't need no education". I lost it! I'm sure these people are really nice that were at the game (nothing against them really, I'm just poking fun at people I don't know, I know it's rude! But if you were there you would have thought the same thing). But my goodness!


It was a pretty good game. The team definitely had the Indiana attitude you see in most Indiana athletes even though there was only 1 player that is actually from Indiana on the team.




After the hockey game as we had just left the building, we saw the Green Bay Gamblers as some were loading their bus. We had the awesome chance to to shake their hands and even grab a photo! "R" and "T" are standing next to Anthony Hayes #17. It was extremely cold outside, right around 19 degrees, windy and snowing (still).There were a lot of fights tonight. Why is it something exciting always happens when Hubby takes the children out for a snack? They missed one heck of a fight! It was right in front of us on the ice! It was exciting! Not that I promote that (although it is a major part of hockey), but if they're gonna do it they picked the perfect spot! Sorry, no pictures. I was holding Baby "E" and attempting to get his bottle ready and pay attention. Then I decided to attempt and take pictures at the same time, it didn't quite work. And Baby "E's" needs are more important than grown men, well, young men (19-21 years old) fighting. The pictures of the dude in the penalty box (that we were literally sitting right next to, "L" was on the end right next to it), was the Ice player that was in the fight. Yea, his lip was bleeding, but he wouldn't pose for me to get a picture. What was he thinking? Doesn't he know I blog?!In the first picture notice the kids on the other side (if you can). They would always bang on the 'glass' whenever there was a Green Bay player in their penalty box. One time they banged on it a little too hard and the 'glass' came down. It delayed the game quite a bit. It also irritated A LOT of people (especially the guy that had to hold it up for the remaining 7 minutes of the game because the cable broke in trying to put it back up and nothing else would work). What ticked Hubby and I off was that the ref's were trying to blame it on the Green Bay player. How in the heck do ya think he pulled that off? Are you for real? He's got more talent than hockey if that were the case.

Who hasn't wanted to do this? This looks like so much fun! Hubby races (himself) our shopping cart out to our vehicle all the time at the grocery store (I'm sure there are more hubby's out there that do it too). He would have had a lot of fun with this one!Overall, we had a good time. Hubby and I agreed that Green Bay definitely has a more friendly hockey atmosphere and better hockey arena. We would love to go to another game in Green Bay, which might happen. But for now, we will be going back to this arena in January to be with the scary people, I mean, to support the Green Bay Gamblers as they play the Ice. We will NOT be taking children though, even though they loved the experience. I'm not kidding, scary.

Real quick before I post this novel. I would also like to thank Hubby. Hubby was the best dad EVER for buying "L" and her BFF cow bells!!! It was great how they were sitting right next to me and I really canNOT stand bells of any kind at sporting events (and I love bells-when they are silent-we have them on our Christmas tree). Hubby says, "I told them not to ring them around you." LOVE HIM!!! I did threaten that if I heard them on the way home, they would be out the window so fast they wouldn't know what happened. Don't panic (my children didn't because they know better). I do NOT allow anything to be thrown out the window of any vehicle, hello that's littering.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Sounds like fun despite the beer and crazy people. :) I'm not a hockey fan but gotta admit if I ever do watch it, it's for the fights.

He & Me + 3 said...

You were cracking me up with this novel. Doesn't he know I blog? Too funny. Sounds like you all had a great time! Hockey games are the best!

Davisix said...

OK, Miranda....this was one of my most favoritest posts of yours. I was CRACKING up! And I felt like I was right there with you...and the beer....and the crazy people. Thanks for the great chuckle tonight. Miss you! Ang